We have been absolutely smashed with work this week. Most weeks are busy, but sometimes the planets align or as may be closer to the truth, "misalign" and the business gets swamped. Mind you I love what I do and am fortunate that we have a steady flow of work.
With the above in mind, it has been a slow week on the modelling front with only an hour here or there to get some progress achieved on the "shed project". I took the opportunity to "multitask" the laser table and while carrying out some paid engraving the last of the main shed components have been roughed out.
Both side panel components and one end of the shed are almost ready for the paint shop...but a last minute lightbulb moment has me changing the plans yet again. To add some variety to an otherwise mundane shed, I have decided to incorporate a small office within the shed and to compliment this addition of the two internal walls, a couple of windows will be added to the external panels which will mean a quick return to the laser table before the paint treatment can begin. I will not machine up the last end wall until the other three sides are finally fitted and this panel can be cut to suit.
Tonight I have been busy making up the ridge cap and roof/wall barge capping pieces. I decided to utilise styrene angle with .5mm flat styrene to simulate the joints. I guess I could have used card and paper strips...but the styrene was handy and as much as I thought this would be a quicker way...this has certainly not been the case. Nevertheless I am happy with the results and cannot wait for these to be installed following painting and weathering.
Strangely enough for such a basic structure, this project has been very time consuming and I now find myself unsure of the sequence of construction going forward. There is much internal detail that I want to include and this will have to be done with the roof removed. I am also giving thought to internal lighting and a couple of external "old world" wall mounted shrouded lights adjacent to the truck loading dock and forklift ramp. Handrails and doors for the additional internal "office" as well as some rudimentary office furniture will also be included...so it may be a while until the roof is installed (either removable or fixed). One other task is to include internal corrugated asbestos profiles (to visible walls) as the Wills product I have utilised for the exterior cladding is only one sided. I knew this particular task would crop up...but as I am more than happy with the appearance of the chosen Wills product....this will mean only a slight imposition.
For those that are even remotely interested...All plastics behave differently when placed under the laser and as most modelling types of plastics and styrenes are not "optimised" for this type of machining...the results can often be exceedingly good or exceedingly bad. While I am unsure as to the make up of Wills extrusions...they cut (vector) very well...but attempting to etch or (raster) the material is of little use. I do get asked most weeks about the pros and cons of a laser for modelling purposes and I am in the process of writing a post for this blog that may be of interest to those who have a fetish towards "cremating" defenceless modelling materials.
Anyway, as per usual I have included some photos to illustrate progress and most will have to look closely for the subtle changes that have occurred over a non productive modelling week...
|Roof now in place and barge capping being trial fitted...|
|Barge capping construction method|
|I will be cheating on the doors and windows...These examples are from the Tichy range|
|Wall panels lasered and ready for final prep and fitting|