Friday 10 May 2013

Weathering, Pastels and Round Piles...

All,

I have been using pastels for weathering for some time but only to add highlights to models.  I read with interest the posting by Ray Pilgrim on his Bylong Blog in January where he utilised another aspect of pastel use for weathering one of our Timber Ash Buffers.  As time goes on I am finding more uses and slowly getting use to the characteristics of pastels.

My normal timber weathering technique is to use Raven Oil mixed with methylated spirits to age the timber components ( normally before assembly ) as this gives a good base with which to continue the weathering process....I have covered this in an earlier post I am sure...Then take to the airbrush and dry weathering powders to complete the job.  The main concern with timber is the tendency for it to warp should you be over zealous with any form of liquid.  This is why i utlise metho if any moisture is required as it is very quick to dry and I cannot overemphasize the need to almost dry brush the timber and take one's time.

During the week I decided to utilise one of the "spare" completed bridge decks to explore the use of pastels further and experiment with differing application methods.  They certainly work very well in their dry state....but one idea I explored was to rub the chosen pastel stick on some medium wet and dry to give a coarse powder and then made a very week slurry with metho as the medium and applied with a very fine brush.  The effect is certainly different and the method's success can be gauged by the shots below...Some would suggest that the same could be achieved with weathering powders but the variation of shades available in pastels coupled with the cheapness of pastels vs powders makes it an easy choice.  While i am a relative novice with pastels...I can certainly see many advantages over weathering powders.

Also during the week ( and following a valid comment re our last post )  I decided to bite the bullet and perfect the manufacture and assembly of round piles for bridge bents.  It is certainly an issue that needed to be addressed not only for the bridge range but also for the upcoming Timber Opening range....I have included a shot of the first incarnation in a pre-weathered state.

Enjoy your weekend!!!




The bridge deck during the weathering process...

               

  


Weathering tools of trade...Raven Oil...available from saddlery shops for around $15.00 per bottle...The pastels were purchased via ebay for $12.00 per pack



The first round pile bridge assembly...

1 comment:

  1. Rod

    I use the soft pastels in all my weathering work, not just on the timber laser items but also on R/S. The biggest problem in using them on R/S is to get the powders to adhere to the usual shiny plastic of the R/S items.

    On plastics I use a tube acrylic paint as an undercoat, they apply the pastels using a wet brush which I rub along the pastels themselves, which is then applied to the models. I like the dirty aspect that the pastels give.

    I also use a similar method on the timbers as well, even if the first coat on the timbers are a bit wet, I have not had an issue with warping, but I usually get more of the pastels on quicker, in order that they soak up excess moistures reasonably guick.

    The round Pillars look nice, & maybe able to be used on alternative tank stands also.

    Before checking Ebay for the pastels, do you have any of the cheap shops in Goulburn such as Hot dollar, or crazy clarks or the like? If so, check them out for the pastels, also coloured graphite & charcoal pencils that are also useful for this work, just dip the tips in water to let them flow.

    The also sell the soft pastel packs of greys & other colours for around $5-$8.00 a box. Usually Monte Marte brand.

    Col

    ReplyDelete